The 14th Bavarian Autosport Show & Shine was a huge success, thanks in no small way to a picture-perfect,
sunny, 60°F day. When the first Bavarian Autosport employees arrived at 6 AM to start setting up, there
were already a few cars lined up, waiting to be invited in. The parking lot, which holds 350 BMWs & MINIs,
opened just before 8 AM was full by 9:15 AM -- the fastest fill-up we've ever seen. And by 11 AM, both
sides of Constitution Ave. were lined with hundreds of other gleaming Bimmers. (How many cars fit in 3/4
of a mile? Times two?) It is estimated that more than 1,800 people attended what amounted to a giant block
party. Here are some of the highlights:
- We cooked and served about 1,5000 hamburgers, hot dogs and knockwurst, and poured hundreds of frosty beverages -- all for free.
- There were about $10,000,000 worth of BMWs and MINIs on the grounds, including Manny & Judy Brouchu's Isetta, a 2002 Turbo, tons of M cars, a couple of Z8s and a new X6. (other notables?)
- Hundreds of people attended our "You Can Do It!" sessions that showed how to replace/install kidney grills, cold-air intake kit, high-performance coils, clear lenses and LED taillights, custom-fit seat covers, shift knob, and the most popular session -- do-it-yourself paint chip and scratch repair.
- In the vendor tent were representatives from the following companies: Billy Boat Performance Exhaust, Bilstein, Bosch, Cool Carbon, Covercraft , EIS Bluetooth, Hella, LTW Wheels, Lubro Moly, Mann Filter, Nokian Tyre, Pagid, PIAA, Thule, WeatherTech and Yokohama.
- Bruce Maus of P21S spent the day demonstrating (and letting people try) his company's products on a 1989 M6.
- We offered special Show & Shine deals on products from all of these companies.
- We gave away hundreds of hats, t-shirts, car care products, posters, etc. at the "Free Stuff" table.
- We sold out all the long-sleeve Show & Shine t-shirts and commemorative pint glasses, raising even more for charity.
But the biggest highlight of the day was the presenting of a check for more than $4,000 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
It's a true testament to the generosity of our vendors and customers. Here's a list of winners from the Komen charity raffle:
- WeatherTech floor mats and cargo liner -- Justin W., Dover NH
- Cool Carbon brake pad, front & rear -- Henry C., Alston MA
- Infinity BassLink subwoofer -- Chris C., Milford, MA
- Bavarian Autosport pre-painted rear wing -- Harry D., Burlington, ON
- Set of 4 Hakkapeliitta winter tires -- Henry C., Alston MA
- Bavarian Autosport Power Programmer -- Antonio B, Aurora, IL
- Bavarian Autosport high-performance ignition set -- Chris C., Milford, MA
- Plain-Talk Bluetooth hands-free kit -- Joan M., Olalla, WA
- Custom-fit seat cover, front & rear -- Mary P., Hopkinton, MA
- Set of 4 Sachs shock absorbers -- Bart B., Palm Beach Gardens, FL
- aFe Magnum Force intake kit -- Michael S., Bainbridge Island, WA
- Bavarian Autosport front camber kit -- Aristotle N., Ipswich, MA
- Grand Prize (Billy Boat TriFlo exhaust, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bavarian Autosport Ultimate Car Cover, P21S auto care kit,
$250 gas card from Mann Filter and a 22" flat-screen TV from Sachs = about $2,500 in all) -- Max S., Boston, MA
We couldn't have asked for a nicer day or a friendlier crowd. We hope you can join us next year on Sunday, October 4th, 2009,
for the 15th Bavarian Autosport Show & Shine.
Dave, Mark & Peter
P.S. Just two days after Show & Shine we received the following handwritten note:
"Dear Bavarian Autosport,
I wanted to thank you for a great Show & Shine, this and every year. I have been attending for a long time. I can remember when it didn't fill
much more than the front lot. It's amazing how much it has grown over the years, and what's equally amazing -- you guys can keep up with it!...
Thanks for giving us a great destination. It's good to know customers are still appreciated.
P.S. Great beer choice in Smuttynose!"
You're welcome, Brad. We're already trying to think of ways to make next year's Show & Shine even better. Stay tuned...